Current developments and ships in the Port of Rotterdam
An up-to-date addition to the standard cruise text.
New production location at the former RDM area for SJR.
SJR Group located at the Gieterijweg, Port Number 2596, commissioned a new construction hall with loading dock in the Rotterdam Dokhaven. In the conditioned hall high storage tanks can be built with a diameter of 24 meters and a height of 32 meters.
The office and production area borders directly on a private quay of 150 meters in length with a direct connection to the New Waterway. From here SJR can shipped de tanks over the New Waterway to its European and global customers. There is a collaboration with Broekman Logistic contracted for the larger projects. The SJR Group has been over 50 year’s specialist in container construction.
Skandi Buzioz at the quay of Huisman
Skandi Búzios is a sister ship of the Skandi Açu. Both vessels are designed and built by VARD shipyard in Norway, specifically for the installation of umbilicals *, flexible pipelines and risers for a new offshore project in Brazil and are so-called (PLSVs) Pipe lay Support Vessels. Huisman at the Vertical Lay tower set.
The ship has a length of 146 meters and a width of 30 meters, and is part of the DOF Subsea - Technip joint venture in Brazil, Skandi Buzios is capable of operating with 120 crew members in water depths up to 3,000 meters. Below deck are located carousel drums of 1,500 and 2,500 metric tons for the storage of the flexible pipelines.
(* Umbilicals are connections between a wellbore and drill ship or oil rig.)
The Wilton Villa
The villa Wilton on the Maaskant, the N.V. Dock and Yard Society Wilton-Fijenoord. The villa was built in 1922 with the intention that one of the members of the Wilton family would inhabit the property. That is indeed the case, but for a very short time. After the war it was inhabited for some time by the widow of the Battle of the Java Sea killed Rear Admiral Karel Doorman. The property was then mainly used for meetings of the leadership of the yard and to receive important guests.
Old Europoort tower Steenbank saved from demolition
In addition to the existing fleet of seven museum ships the harbour Maassluis will soon be expanded with two new tugs.
Through the Maritime Heritage Foundation Maassluis is the former Europoort Tugboat Steenbank (1960) saved from demolition. Stone Bank was working with sister ship Schouwenbank and Europa and Azie by P. Smith Jr. the first Europoort tug built specifically for the new Europoort area view the large ships that were expected to assist there.
With a length of 30 meters and an installed engine capacity of 1250 HP these sleek vessels were a welcome addition to the fleet of smaller harbour tugs which mainly operated for the city harbours. Later, the tug Smit went in the Europoort area operated a partnership in a new subsidiary: New Towage Rotterdam (NRS).
Until recently, Stone Bank, which left the port of Rotterdam in 1980, employed by the Belgian Navy but was repelled the end of 2015. The ship will be brought back into the NRS identity and become part of the Foundation Tug Harbour Maassluis. The old salvage vessel Tonijn from Smit-Tak is also added to the museum collection.
The Oceanarium Boat Haaibaai
The Oceanarium Boat from Rotterdam Zoo, called the "Shark Bay" is a striking appearance in the harbour. The ship is equipped with coloured penguins against a backdrop of white polar ice floes. The Oceanarium Boat care of the supply of fresh, clean sea water coming from the Atlantic Ocean. The ocean water is intended for the animals in the Oceanarium, including sharks, tropical fish, penguins and sea lions. The sea water is supplied as ballast by ships from Maersk Group and usually pumped in Shark Bay on the 2nd Maasvlakte. The Oceanarium is circulating a total of 8 million liters of seawater. Thanks to a specially designed filter, the total amount of water is cleaned continuously ensure that water quality is maintained. Monthly need to replace a part. So that happens with this particular moment that every month brings about 550 tons of fresh ocean water to the hundreds of animals in the Oceanarium and the polar bears.
OPDR - The Oldenburg-Portugiesische Dampfschiffs-Rhederei GmbH was founded in 1882 by August Schultze and Herman Burmester and one of the oldest shipping companies in Germany. Originally, the company maintained a regular service between Oldenburg and Portugal.
Now the three major ports in northern Europe are: Hamburg, Rotterdam and Tilbury.
Recently, OPDR Rouen included in its service. This creates a direct connection between Rotterdam and the northern French port.
Other ports of the three 700-TEU ships (OPDR Tenerife, -Cadiz and -Tanger) are destinations in Spain, Portugal, Morocco and the Canary Islands.
The current fleet of OPDR consists of eight container vessels.
In 2014, the company acquired by the French CMA GGM (Compagnie Maritime d' Affrètement - Compagnie Générale Maritime), the third-largest container shipping company in the world with approximately 430 ships
Crane Vessel Stanislav Yudin
The crane vessel Stanislav Yudin of the Dutch SHL Group (Seaway Heavy Lifting) is regularly on display in Rotterdam. The ship was built at the Wärtsilä shipyard in Finland in 1985, has a length of 185 meters and width of 36 meters and a displacement of 25.000Dwt.
The crane can be up to 2,500 tons lifts to a height of 100 meters. The recently built in the Netherlands Oleg Strashnov (IHC Merwede in Krimpen a/d IJssel) also belongs to the SHL group.
In 2017, the Stanislav Yudin will be used for the installation of 32 new wind turbines in the Trianel Wind Farm Borkum, about 45 kilometers off the German coast located.
Featured harbours: The Parkhaven
Parkhaven is a post-war port between the Lloydkwartier and Park in Rotterdam. Parkhaven was dug between 1890 and 1893 and built for the transhipment of cargo.
On the west side of the Parkhaven was the stevedore company Wm.H. Müller & Co's from 1908 up to 1970 established. Also on the east side of the Parkhaven take cargo transhipment place.
The River Police established since 1911 on the northwest side of the Parkhaven. The patrol ships are moored here.
In 1933 changed the function of the Parkhaven. By completing the Parklocks Parkhaven was a liaison between the Nieuwe Maas and the Delfshavense Schie. The cargo throughput disappeared on the east side of the port and in 1960 the Euromast was constructed here. For years here were the training ships Jan Backx and the Seven Seas, which was used as host ship. Nowadays here is the floating Chinese restaurant Ocean Paradise.